View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #28
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can't say that I agree with that sentiment at all..............................................W ord on the street is that the latest installment won't give me the warm and fuzzies either....]

I hate a book whose sole purpose in life seems to be setting up events for later books (especially if the author forgets that the setup book needs to be able to stand on its own two feet). Two books in a row like that is unforgivable—and is representative of why one story spread across 6, 7, 8, 9 books is a horrible practice.
1] Agree, and 2]correct, 3] absolutely.

And your comments in your next thread re: 2 or 3 being a Very Good format is ,to my mind, perfectly illustrated by the Tolkein saga - he knew when to desist, and provided a coherent, planned story that interconnected and "moved along" well, and a believable world, history and culture. It has structure that maintains its integrity all the way through - and happens to wrap it all up in 3 books, despite a long gestation.
And I do think it has longer legs than " Ice & Fire" by far - although I doubt I'll ever be around to see if I'm right !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote