View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I am going through this same decision process for my mom too. Mine can read to a point but needs more contrast then provided by any of the eink devices. If your mom's old machine was not eink perhaps you can take her by a Borders, where they sell the Sony's, if you have one nearby. You can let her checkout the display for viewability and see of she can see distinct letters. She prolly won;t be able to read the content but she might be able to at least see distinct letters aobive the background. The letters will be too small for her to read but if she can make out the characters then I would think the Cybook is at least a possibility.

Many people don't consider contrast ratio's when looking for low vision devices. Many vision issues increase the need to high contrast, especially for reading.

So far my best option is to get her a 13" or so tablet PC with a good reader app installed. Of course we are now a lot more $$ and also makes the device much more fragile. This is why I was hoping for a Kindle that might work. But the background is just not white enough. I tested my mom on both my laptop (17" beast she could NEVER manage) and also my new Nokia N800. Suprisingly she could read on the N800 if I made the font very large around 60-70pt with a very slightly off-white background color. Still using the small N800 would never happen since she could not see the menu's and what not to open a book.

Last edited by brecklundin; 04-03-2008 at 01:23 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote