View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Good god. Conspiracy theory much?

Stop trying to alarm people. Amazon made a foolish mistake, then corrected it very generously. It's not a fly-by-night operation, they're not secretly 'listening' to your kindle, there is no built-in secret speaker that they can turn on remotely, connected to the radio, so they can spy on your real-life conversations life. They are not reporting your reading habits to the FBI.

There have been hundreds of millions of kindle transactions, and amazon screwed the pooch on ONE. Pretty good 'failure' rate, if you ask me. They learned their lesson. They won't do it again.

The part about amazon bricking your kindle, or activating it remotely even with wireless off? Pure bulls***. Neither has EVER been done, and believe me, there would have been plenty of screaming on the interweb if it had been. The kindle has been reverse engineered by several reputable websites that do such things, and there is NO indication that such capabilities exist. Such crap is simply propagated by conspiracy theorists, alarmists, and outright kindle-haters.

It's suspected that the kindle can make my coffee in the morning. What do you think, Worldwalker? Can it?

See how easy it is to start innuendo and crap on the interweb?

Now, amazon DOES fail, in 2 very large ways, in my opinion. Firstly, their closed ecosystem. They simply MUST eventually incorporate open-source and other formats into the kindle's capabilities (epub, etc). That they have not yet done so is somewhat mind-boggling. Secondly, of course...DRM. Your signature is very apt. It doesn't work, at ALL -- as anybody using several of calibre's very specific third-party plugins can tell you -- and only stops paying users from using their media to it's full potential, ie loaning, giving, selling...whatever.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote