View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #75
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
On the DRM question, Cory Doctorow (a hero) summed it up in a borrowed quote from elsewhere in a talk recently: "The problem for an independent author isn't piracy; it's obscurity." Cheers. Neil
I'm not sure why I didn't catch this before, but your statement about piracy issues with independent authors is spot on. If anything, regardless of how obscure or popular you are, authors should actually encourage the sharing (no, don't call it "piracy", as that's the wrong word. Go look it up in the dictionary. It's the theft of a physical object by force.) of our books. Independent artists do it all the time and it actually helps them.

Also, if you want to increase your exposure, offer a free copy of one of your books, then encourage as many people as possible to share it. The more that share, the more free press and exposure you get, and the better you'll do. Now, if people refuse to share your book, I'd seriously take a second look at your writing, because if they're not sharing it, and not telling their friends, then something is seriously wrong with your book, and possibly all your writing.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote