View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Whilst I agree epub is laudable and worthwhile concept and provided it does achieve its aim of being a 'universal' standard, how does it "fit" with current reading devices....and their current multiplicity of formats - and how easy will it be to pursuade Amazon and Sony to endorse it on their products I wonder....
Sony is already supporting ePub via Adobe Digital Editions. One advantage of the Kindle store approach is that Amazon could support ePub at any time, since they only need to get it working on one device type and ePub could be provided side by side with AZW (MOBI). They already do this with TOPAZ ebooks (which are a pathetic attempt to provide an alternative to ePub). I doubt they will do this, but if they do the reason will be the textbook market. MOBI and TOPAZ are simply not good enough for technical ebooks.

A problem with ePub is that it takes a lot of resources to display correctly. So it will be interesting to see how well FictionWise is able to render ePub on (say) Palm handhelds. One option would be to bundle an ePub and an eReader version of the same ebook, with eReader being used on the less powerful devices. The eReader version would be generated by FictionWise from the publishers ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote