View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
johnnyS
johnnyS began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR
Hi Michael,

Quote:
In my opinion it could be pretty annoying if you are asked every time if you want to set a bookmark when you close an epub. I put it on the change list in the new "ideas" section. I'll think about it, perhaps I'll have an idea how to implement this in a not annoying way
It seems to me that the dialog which Firefox displays when user tries to close it with at least one tab open can be a good example of not annoying dialog. This dialog doesn't annoy, but sometimes prevents unintentional closing of browser window.

Quote:
I've placed the buttons which don't belong to an opened epub, on the left side. One exception: the library button. The reason why I did this is, that the left frame can be closed, so the library wouldn't be accessible directly. And in my opinion direct access is important.
I agree that direct access to Library is important. But why direct access to saving a publication as a file? - "Save as file" button is used rarely and is not needed at all on publication page. It seems to me that the functionality of saving publications as files properly belong to Library page. On library page "Save as file" buttons are already present.

But on Library page 2 things are needles: bottom bar because no button in this bar does anything on Library page; and left pane because it is empty on Library page.

It seems to me that it would be better if in Publication page "Save as file" button would be removed and in Library page both bottom bar and left pane would be removed.

Quote:
if you have a 25 inch display, 35 pixel for the navigationbar shouldn't be a problem . If you have a smaller display, you can hide Firefox itself completely (F11), so you have much more space for reading.
I do not find much use of full-screen functionality (F11) because while hiding Firefox's chrome you also hide much needed browser functionality such as tabs.

The question about bottom is not so much about saving 35 pixels but more about intrusiveness of EPUBReader's interface. From my point of view EPUBReader should not force on user the ways of navigating through and customizing of the publication. Ways of navigating and customizing should result from choices of publication authors and readers. Since EPUB format is essentially HTML + CSS and possibly some scripting, in many ways navigation and customizing can be built-in inside publication. For example, nothing prevents to add Previous/Next links inside each page; or, with the help of some scripting, to add font chooser or font size chooser, or style switcher allowing to choose among completely different page styles. In such cases some or all bottom bar buttons would duplicate publication's functionality or even interfere with it. (EPUB specification does not incourage scripting, but also does not forbid it - it says user agents "should not" execute scripts inside publication; it does not say "must not").

That's main reason because I advocate the concept that botton bar buttons and all bottom bar should be optional (shown by default but having possibility to be hidden).

Thanks again for your relentless efforts and amazing extension!

Last edited by johnnyS; 01-04-2010 at 02:45 AM.
johnnyS is offline   Reply With Quote