View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
With no exception, every proponent of the touch interface says that new users need to "give yourself some time with it," "you'll have to practice a bit" "it may take some getting used to."

That's all fine and dandy for some, but I'm not interested in learning new skills... only reading books (mostly). I know how to do that and I was doing it flawlessly with the previous Kindles within seconds of opening the box. One-handed with no practice, even.

[snip future complaint]

So who's selling me my next device? It has to fit my hand naturally—with the physical "Next" button falling perfectly under my thumb when held in either the left OR the right hand (just like my current Kindle does). It can have a touch screen
[1]
but if it does, it has to have the ability to perform every function with physical buttons as well. And I want a physical qwerty keyboard (including a numbers row) so I can quickly and easily take notes when proof-reading ebooks I'm working on.
[snip salsa digression]
I was agreeable until you got to [1] above. A D-pad & 4 button Nintendo interface is probably enough for most kinds of devices, _especially when combined with a touch screen_. A K3 has a keyboard, a D-pad, and FOUR function buttons (Home, Back, Menu, and Screen Control) and 4 page turn buttons. You can easily change the keyboard for a touchscreen with no real loss of function.

Most PDAs had something similar and were very friendly. A touch-screen, properly integrated allows you to lose a _lot_ of buttons, just not all of them. A reading device should also (IMO) have several (Turn Page) buttons, because that's the vast bulk of all user commands, and you want a zero friction interface for that.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote