View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
That's not true at all. Ownership is always a collection of rights to your property, but rarely all of them.

I own my house and the land it sits on, but I can't tear it down and build a gas station due to zoning requirements. I can't refuse to sell it to someone based on their race. I can't grow marijuana on it. I can't let it become dilapidated. If I do repairs, they have to be up to a certain standard and meet code; for more serious repairs and renovations I would need pre-approval by the city. For certain work I would need to hire a licensed contractor and have the work inspected by the city.
In most european countries you wouldn't even own any minerals or resources underneath your property.
Property rights are important and protecting them is a cornerstone of modern economies but they are never absolute simply because property doesn't exit in a vacuum.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote