View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I think the Aaron Elkins books are the best deals on FW right now. Unfortunately I bought them all a long time ago, so I can't buy them again

I like all three of his series. The Gideon Oliver series is the longest and most developed, and I really enjoy the persnickety detail of the forensics. I also am a huge Francophile, so I really enjoy the ones which are set in France. Back in DTB days, I jumped into the series in the middle, and when I went back and read the first couple, they were fairly different than most of the rest, so this is a series you shouldn't judge just by the first book or two. I think they really got better through the first few, and have stayed pretty darn good since.

The Chris Norgren ones, only three of them, are fun for the art background. They remind me a little bit of Iain Pears' Jonathan Argyll/Flavia di Stefano series. And the ones Elkins writes with his wife, the Lee Ofsted golf books, are also fun, but a little less intellectually satisfying, or maybe I'm just not that into golf. I also liked his thrillers, which aren't really gory thrillers, and do have elements of mystery, so although I'm not usually all that fond of thrillers, I liked these.

It's hard pickings for me now on FW - I've just about exhausted most of the mainstream mystery authors with backlist titles on FW, and I'm not much into short stories so the mystery magazines aren't very tempting. I have found a few new indie authors from FW, but even that seems to be getting harder and harder as more poorly written or poorly edited stuff keeps getting added.

I was sort of hoping that with the hiatus in agency for some publishers, FW might start getting some more interesting titles back in, but it hasn't happened yet. Of course, BN may not want FW competing with them...sigh!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote