View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
jamthecat
JamTheCat
jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
I read "The Woman In White" years ago, and much of it was a slog. The "mystery" isn't really much of one. Collins is VERY verbose. But that said...there are moments in the book that are purest poetry. I think my favorite one is when Walter has this long preamble of discussion about Laura after learning she has died...and leads up to a simple declaration -- "I loved her." And that hit me right in the gut. And when he sees the woman in white in the graveyard...that spooked me.

It's definitely worth reading if only to see the progression of the mystery-romance novel...but it does tend to go on and on.
jamthecat is offline   Reply With Quote