View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
pragmatick
pragmatick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre automatically applies suggestions

Hi,

so far I enjoy using Calibre a lot. It has some quirks, but most of the time I can work around them. One particular bug is very annoying though:
When I try to enter an author's name Calibre automatically applies a suggestion if it is alike, ignoring the case. I'll describe the scenario:

I have two books, the author set as "Peter v. Brett". I want to change the author to "Peter V. Brett", but Calibre automatically changes it back, because the old version is saved in the database. So I changed the author of both books to "p" and then I could change it back to "Peter V. Brett". It worked, but is laborious. Having entered "p" as a temp value, when I tried to enter "Peter", after having typed "P", Calibre changed it back to "p", applying it to the now known author value of "p", so I had to type in "Peter", which then read "peter", and then change it to "Peter"...

This probably sounds confusing, but you can reproduce it fairly easy when you set the author of one or more books to one value and then, afterwards, try to change the case of the author's name.

My recommendation would be:
a) Don't apply the suggestions automatically. It is annoying and doesn't make sense considering usability.
or
b) More programming work: Ignore suggestion values originating from the book(s) you are trying to change.

Thanks a lot for your work!

Simon

Last edited by pragmatick; 02-01-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarification
pragmatick is offline   Reply With Quote