View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #140
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekweb View Post
But, there are a GREAT great many of us that would LOVE to have the OPTION of actually purchasing legitimate stories in e-book format.
I was thinking about this. If someone put together a DRM-free DVD of great science fiction that would be at least 5000 books, probably over 10k because of the number of short stories and novellas etc. Most of those I'd be able to buy the pbook of for about $5 or so if I scrounged around, but it would involve a lot of work. But even at $1/book that's going to be one expensive DVD, $5/book would be almost insane given the actual amount of data.

But when I think about it as "would I pay $10000 for that DVD?", the answer is yes. Ideally over time, but yes. Sure, probably a third of those would be boring, but some of the others I would gladly pay $5 for, because they're good but unavailable.

Now, compared to the current return that any of those authors (or their estates) get from the books even $1/copy is money for very little. Whoever set it up and negotiated the royalties would be worth their weight in gold, because let's face it, the reason some books/stories are so hard to find is that the copyright holders are arseholes.