View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Apple Tablet -- Who needs it?

I've seen the hype, read the speculation, and I keep asking myself..... who needs this?

I love my iPhone, my new Kindle, my netbook, my laptop, and even my desktop. Each meets a certain need for me. But when I think of what sounds more and more like an iPhone on steroids, I have to ask..... who needs an Apple tablet?

Some problems I see (based on speculation about the product):
  1. Too expensive
  2. No keyboard
  3. Battery life (if my iPhone is any indication)
  4. Display (if they intend for this to be an e-reader, it better be pleasing to the eye for long periods of time)
  5. Not different enough from what I already own.
  6. Portability vs. durability

At its current size, the iPhone does many things well. Blown up to a 10 inch screen, its limitations would seem to be abundantly clear compared to other items of similar size. Additionally, the speculation that publishers will be clamoring to put multimedia books and content on the device seems questionable at best, considering how loathe publishers are to break away from the current physical book model.

I think the tablet will sell well initially, but don't see this as being a must have like the iPhone or iPod have been. For most people, I would think a $300 netbook would fit the bill just as well, and leave money to buy a new iPhone.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote