View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I don't personally re-buy free stuff or pay again for things I already own in another format (with a couple of very specific exceptions). And I've never been inclined to the tipjar method, but if it works for other people, that's great.

What I do instead is pay for something else that's non-free from the author/publisher, even if it isn't nearly appealing as the free thing (provided it's at a reasonable price) and thereby hopefully they're supported for their generous free offering and I also get to try something else by them at the same time.

I've gone and bought a series by one author which only looks middling-promising on the strength of his having put up some books-in-progress in serial format from his other series which I actually like as free reads online.

Mind you, I did it during those Fictionwise 50-60% off coupon sales because I'm cheap and there are limits.

But I'm pretty happy to support people orthogonally in return for their free giveaways, even if I'm a bit reluctant to spend my money recompensating them for those particular titles directly.

I think this sort of thing was noted in one of Eric Flint's editorials up on Baen, about how after they put a bunch of Mercedes Lackey's stuff up free in the Library, she got a sales spike for the print books in her series at another publisher.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote