View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Anna View Post
1- Then decide how much control you need over screen presentation; font face, size, margins, line-spacing, presence/absence of header/footer bars, alignment, etc.might be nice...
2- Decide if library ebook access matters to *you*.maybe...depends on what my library has...
3- Decide if limited web-surfing/downloads matters.would be nice for fanfic reading
4- Decide if support for Audible audio books matters.not so much. i like seeing the words :P
5- Decide if text-to-speech matters.could be useful, not a big deal, though
6- Decide if SD-card expandability matters.does it? how many books do i really need to have on the device? doesn't the kindle hold somewhere like 3000? course, that doesn't do anything for me if i go with another one, lol
7- Decide if loaning *some* books out *once* per book-lifetime matters.nope. don't care about that.
8- Decide if touchscreen matters more than wireless.i like the wireless better i think. a small touch strip, like on the nook would be okay, but a full touch screen isn't what i'm looking for
9- Decide if dictionary support matters to you.that would be a really good thing for college
10- Decide if in-book search matters to you.again, useful for college
11- Decide if note-taking matters and how much.eh.
12- Decide how much the extra contrast of a Pearl eink screen matters to you.ya'll could probably tell me how much it matters better than i can figure it out myself...

thanks for that list, it really helped. i liked the idea of having something smaller to use for reading books, and i figured it'd help me, down the road, avoid moving into my first place without bookcases everywhere[i'm sure i'll still have some]. but i hadn't really thought about how useful it could be for college stuff.
Round two:

1- Nice means you can live without and won't pay extra for it. Pretty much rules out the Pocketbook line. (I like the PB360 but it's strength is customization and if customization isn't all that important...)
2- Research it. Yes, Homework! We're a tough crowd here. It's a strong discriminator: Nook does it, Kindle doesn't (not easily).
3- Think about it. It could be your discriminator between Kindle and other wireless readers.
4- Some folks love audio ebooks. Kindle is the only one to support Audible.
5- See #4. Plus, several other vendors are adding TTS as a cost-justifier. No need to worry about them if it buys you nothing.
6- Kindle has 4GB storage, yes. If you don't do MP3s or audio ebooks it'll go further. You can also use the wireless to connect to your own PC to extend your reading pool. If you go with Nook and get an SD card that's an extra $10-20. Factor in all possible extra costs. Like... a cover?
7- That is a NOOK defining trait.
8- You pretty much excluded the new Sony readers here (PRS-350, PRS650) plus the old PRS-600 which can be had on sale someplaces.
9- Kindle and Nook, both yes; Sony PRS-300, no.
10- Kindle and Nook, both yes.
11- I gather you're not looking to major in literature, then.
12- No, actually that one is all yours. Your money, your eyeballs. Good news: Kindle should be coming to a Staples or Best Buy near you in the next month or so. Then you'll see how the Pearl screen works for you.

Looks like your first read is pretty close to the mark: for your budget, the choice of wireless reader is most likely going to come down to Kindle vs Nook, which means you *really* need to research your local library and decide how much to weigh library access vs the Kindle's browser, lower cost, and newer screen. (And yes, if you hunt around you should find a Kindle case for around $10 to stay within budget. )

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-12-2010 at 04:45 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote