View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #741
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I don't actually know the nitty gritty details (I'm basically a UX guy) - but our devs do. I assume it has something to do with the C++ libraries that make up the guts of the app. Most iOS apps that support either PDF or EPUB leverage built-in native iOS features/API's. In order to support Adobe's DRM, our app has to do all of the PDF rendering and EPUB rendering itself - from scratch essentially (e.g. the EPUB renderer in Bluefire Reader essentially is a custom-purpose web browser for eBooks - with full CSS support, etc). It is *many*, *many* thousands of lines of code. Far more complexity than 99.9% of apps including games.
Good grief. Thwts unbelievable. You mean in order to use adobe sdk whatever to read drm books, you have to write your own webkit? I'm amazed it runs as well as it does!

I thought basically the adobe sdk does it all for you and you're writing the UI wrapper.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote