View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka Trifunovic View Post
PS. why porting applications to iLiad, it looks to me that making vnc work correctly would solve all problems? or not?
The problem is that refreshing the screen is not done automatically by the X server but done by a separate daemon.

In current iliad applications, refreshing is either done talking explicitly to that daemon (using liberdm library that is provided by iRex) or by using a hacked libX11.so that in turn uses liberdm.

When you export the display from other computer into the iliad, you cannot do either of those aproaches, as liberdm uses system V IPC (AFAIK), and that requires that the app using the display is executing locally to be able to talk to the daemon.

Using an VNC viewer in the iliad would solve this as the viewer would be executing in the iliad, and everything in the vnc display would be refreshed propely (assuming that the vnc viewer calls liberdm to do the refreshes, either explicitly or with the hacked libX11.so).

Anther approach would be
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/xepdmgr/wiki

But my iliad is being repaired right now (and ITOH I don't have much time for hacking anyway), so don't ask for a timeframe of first proof-of-concept of this xepdmgr program.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote