View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #484
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuzog View Post
Thanks for this great tool! However, I've noticed that the .epub file in the mobi8 directory of the unpacked filename directory is much smaller than the original .epub from which the .mobi file was made using KindleGen.

Part of the reason is that it lacks a cover page. I've tried opening it with Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 and everything shows but the cover. I'm new to this so I'll ask whether this a bug or a feature?

It would be good to include the cover as the .epub file is so much smaller, which means that it must have been optimized somehow.
Kindlegen makes a combination file that includes the source, the KF8 and the Mobi. So it will be larger.

When you use KindleUnpack to make an ePub out of the KF8, you have to then run it through a checker such as ePubcheck or FlightCrew. The problem is that it's not 100% structurally sound as an ePub.

The cover is there. But there is no code to display the cover as KF8 does not need an XML file to display the cover. Take the ePub, load it into Calibre and use the Modify ePub plugin to add in the cover. Then you can take the ePub into Sigil to fix the errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote