View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #60
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Or maybe a horizontal list of buttons at the bottom of the bookshelf for each range of books (one button for 1st-299th, next button for 300-599, then one for 600-899, etc.). I will think about it ...
Have you considered using the Silverlight Toolkit's LongListSelector with JumpList /Grouping functionality? It's designed specifically for this scenario -- a large list that needs to scroll smoothly, with the ability to jump to various points (think of the native application list when there's more than ~25 apps in the list, where it gives you the "a", "b", etc buttons that bring you to that location). Then based on however you're sorting, the letter buttons could bring you to "Authors whose last names begin with 'c'," or, "Books that start with the letter 's'," or whatever.

Personally, I'm fine with the library size limitation. I only carry 2-3 books at a time on my phone, and when I'm finished with one I delete it and replace it with the next book I'm going to read from my calibre server. But people do seem to like carrying their entire ebook library with them everywhere, so a solution that fits both scenarios would be ideal.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote