Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #704
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Looking for a story

"There was a wandering Chinese named Chang Wan…and a girl named Shirley."

I guess most people in here will recognize the above line. It comes from the film 'Out of Africa' and purports to be the first line of a story told by Karen Blixen for Denys Finch Hatton and Barclay Cole. As a reward, Finch Hatton - according to the film - gave Blixen a pen with the instructions to 'write them down', 'them' being the stories she told.

I wonder if anyone who has read more of Karen Blixen's work than I have knows whether she ever wrote down this particular story and, if she did, give me a lead to finding it. English or Danish will do. I'm fluent in Swedish and can cope with written Danish.

TIA

PS to the moderators: Can't offhand think of a better forum for this question.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote