Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #702
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaggly View Post
Ok so I've got two unidentified books,

the first is about two girls, one girl in modern times whose parents are archaeologists and discover the skeletons of these "missing link" neanderthals, the other pov which runs parallel is from one of these "missing link" neanderthals who is also a little girl, and its super cool how their communication is described (because they don't have spoken language or anything)
This sounds somewhat like Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear. It was a Hugo Award nominee and a Nebula Award winner in 2000(?). It has the neanderthal and modern POVs (mostly the modern) and the anthropologists, but the story is not about two girls. I would not be surprised to hear that the second book (Darwin's Children) has POVs from the girls perspective but I have not read it. Here is the blurb from Amazon for the first:
Quote:
“Virus hunter” Christopher Dicken is a man on a mission, following a trail of rumors, government cover-ups, and dead bodies around the globe in search of a mysterious disease that strikes only pregnant women and invariably results in miscarriage. But when Dicken finds what he’s looking for, the answer proves to be stranger—and far deadlier—than he ever could have imagined. Something that has slept in human DNA for millions of years is waking up.

Molecular biologist Kaye Lang has spent her career tracing ancient retroviruses in the human genome. She believes these microscopic fossils can come to life again. But when Dicken’s discovery becomes public, Lang’s theory suddenly turns to chilling fact. As the outbreak of this terrifying disease threatens to become a deadly epidemic, Dicken and Lang must race against time to assemble the pieces of a puzzle only they are equipped to solve—an evolutionary puzzle that will determine the future of the human race . . . if a future exists at all.
Even if this isn't the book you were thinking of, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote