Thread: Classic Rooting the classic
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Yessssssssssssssss! I finally hacked my Nook Classic (Nook First Edition called by some)! I followed most of the instructions at http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_B%26N_re...n_any_hardware

I only tweeked in a few places. Here is a general list of what I did:

1. Look at the site above and grab the linked file (ratc.bin). Then go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1474956 and at the top there grab the adb + fasboot + drivers.zip. The reason I used this is because it is much smaller than the full Andriod SDK (which is over 500mb btw) and I figured this would work since it works for Nook Tablets. I didn't install the drivers or anything though. Just used adb.

2. Went with nook browser to http://nookadb.suspended-chord.info/ to crash the browser. If this should ever be down I see on the nookdevs page there is a discussion with the code that is on the crash page so you can put it on any webserver and still do this procedure.

3. Once it crashed I went to cmd (command prompt) and navigated to the folder that had the adb package I downloaded and decompressed earlier. I suggest putting this folder on your desktop for easy use. I gave the command
adb connect yournookip:5555 please note that the nookdevs instructions are not specific in that you NEED the :5555 after the IP. If it doesn't connect, keep crashing the browser by going to that page until it connect.

4. extracted the init.rc file with the command
adb pull /init.rc then edited as per the instructions on nookdevs

5. Now here is where things are different. I tried to push the ratc.bin file and while that seemed to work the commands after it didn't. It would keep saying the file wasn't there. I was cut and pasting the commands direct from the website so I don't think that was the issue. So what I did was grab the bat file at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=121655&page=2 Jackr and edit it slightly removing the bit about location of adb and placed the bat in the same folder as adb on my desktop and ran it.

6. This actually worked and the bat prompted me to crash the browser again. I kept trying it took a while but as soon as I did it pushed the modified init.rc to the nook. The another reason why I think the bat/script is important as my nook totally froze a second after I crashed it. I think that if I was trying to paste that command manually after connecting I would still be trying lol.

7. After reboot I was fully rooted and I installed a bunch of apps from nookdevs using adb. Just make sure the apk (app file) is in the same directory as adb and use the command install nameofapp.apk

8. If you want to use nookmarket app to install files by itself then you need to:
adb connect nookIP:5555
adb shell
then type this after the #
/system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'"

It will allow nookmarket to install apps on the fly over the net. If you ever want to turn it back off just chage the value=1 to value=0 in the above command. Of course you can always use adb, but it can be handy.

Of all the apps I would definitely suggest Nooklibary and wifilocker along with Nooksync. There are several other good nook apps such as trook, I would suggest checking/trying them out. The browser can be handy if you don't have anything else, but only then lol. Oh I should also mention that the B&N Nook Browser still works fine. I think using the batfile/script helped with that situation.

I hope this helps someone who is thinking of taking the plunge. I wouldn't have bothered if B&N actually continued to update the Nook Classic and add the features that we BEGGED for (and are in NookLibrary). Instead of spending time adding things we didn't like games. Ah well.
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote