View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
What is an isbndb access key and what does it do? I'm wondering if it's a setting that I should be aware of...
If you want to download metadata based on the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) number of the book, calibre goes to a site called IBSNdb (the db means database) which needs a key before it will let calibre in to look up the metadata. I couldn't find in the manual how to get it but you can go to ISBNdb and open an account to get a key. Note that the key is not the same as the password you used for the account.

When you open the Edit Metadata screen, there is a place at the top where you can put the key. Put in the key then put the IBSN into the appropriate field and click Fetch Metadata From Server. Calibre will then ignore all the other fields and got to ISBNdb to fetch the books meta. If there is no entry in the ISBN field, then calibre will go to the default source, apparently Amazon now, for metadata.

ISBNdb does not always have complete metadata but, generally, it does better than most other sources.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote