View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsaa View Post
Hi, I am stylizing a poetry book that is in spanish, but I am having problems with lines breaks. The problem is similar to this. But in spanish the verses breaks must have a opening bracket ([) before it stars the new line, and also it has to be with right align. For example:
Well, you have several problems, and some of the remaining questions aren't clear to me. If the first line breaks, due to font resizing, or small devices, before "bracket" on the first line, is it, too, to be styled with a bracket, and flush left, or is there something different that "should" happen? If you have a very long first line, say, in a printed work, and the line wrap is not the "artistic intent" of the author, but, simply a matter of space, what do you do in print?

Without knowing that, it's hard to say what to do. You obviously will have to create a flush-right style for the indented lines, and you can do a regex to put the brackets in there, permanently (for the deliberately-indented lines), but for the not-deliberately-indented lines, you have other issues, if you need the bracket for those, too--ebooks don't really add characters to themselves on the fly. Not even with pseudo-classes, but I'd have to think about that.

Is it your intent to do this ePUB also for Amazon?

Quote:
I know that for someone this could be a silly problem, but in spanish is the correct way to break verses, can anyone have an idea?

P. S. Obviously the verse breaks when the reader increase the size of the font, or when the verse does not fit on the screen...
Well, I think you may well reach a point soon where you have to tell your client that ebooks don't work like print, and that s/he will have to make a choice; publish or don't. Your alternative is to make each ePUB in fixed-format--one for iBooks,one for Kobo, and if there's a European ebook retailer that has a fixed-format available for self-pubs, for that, also, and do the same for Amazon, if that's in the picture. Otherwise, you have to deal with the (rather endless problem) of "unwanted" line wraps and poets.

I feel for you; we're dealing with one right now we've had in-house since last December, and he just told us to make a boatload of edits to his ePUB, thinking that because the line breaks (as he sees them, without altering the size of his viewing pane or the font) are different, that we "changed" his PDF. So he's added title case to words, and commas, not understanding that this is going to be completely different again when we make the MOBI. I'm hundreds of bucks, if not over a thousand, down on this project, and it's the straw that broke the camel's back--we no longer accept poetry, because it's just not profitable. And the poet-client is never happy. Never. (Or: I should say, sure, we'll accept poetry, if we can make it in fixed-format and charge for it.)

If you'll reply about the unintended line breaks and brackets, I'm sure we'll all have ideas to assist you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote