View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #64
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Thank you for correcting me! I really thought iTunes backups were complete backups. Though now that you mention it, I did have to resync my Kndle books. Sorry for my misleading statement.

The part about apps choosing not to backup is the part that worries me. Items that are saved in the iTunes library I can understand, and I only have to resync to get them back. But app data, that's scary. It means a badly conceived app, or an app that assumes I make separate backups on THEIR cloud (which I don't always do, and much less frequently than I back up on iTunes) can lead to a loss of my data. I don't like it. There should be an option to make a full backup of an iThingie, at least manually.
Yes there should be such an option. And there should be an option to transfer all iThingie items to a new computer as well. Since it only allowed me to transfer Apple Store purchased items to the new computer, if I were to chose to sync videos, books, music, etc. it would quite possibly delete my side loaded items off of my iPod. I'm not sure it would, but I'm very concerned it will. The list of items that will get synced do not include any side loaded items even if they were added via iTunes on the other computer. Since the other computer has died, it would be very nice to have iTunes back up these items!

BTW, I'm doing my trial tests with transferring/syncing on the new computer using only my fairly new iPod touch 5 because it contains very few side loaded items and nothing that it isn't also on my iPad 3. I want to get the kinks figured out before I attempt to transfer/sync my iPad 3 because it has a lot more iThingie items which might get lost!

A word about software simplicity. I do NOT find iTunes as easy and intuitive to use as it should be. The whole transfer/sync part can be rather complicated and you have to do a lot of searching in the Help to ensure you don't screw up, at least initially. I'm still trying to figure out their iCloud sync as well as I'm paranoid about what it syncs and how. They really need to get better software writers to help them design an interface that is intuitive and clear. The same with Apple TV. I purchased an Apple TV yesterday and set it up. The instructions said absolutely nothing about using it with iPods/iPads. I had to Google doing so to find those instructions on the web. I finally got everything to work with my computer, iPod, and iPad, but I had to search for the info and that is a major issue with their documentation. They only needed to add another few paragraphs to the tiny installation booklet but chose not to!

Last edited by jswinden; 12-22-2012 at 11:57 AM.