View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikayn View Post
My requirement is simple, I want books sorted on disc as they would be on bookshelf, that is lastname, firstname. I thought that I had selected that in preferences, but when I just loaded a set of directories (folders) into calibre there they are all renamed.
You can store the books on disk any way you want. You just can't change the way calibre stores books in its database. The Save to disk feature will allow you to create the folder structure you want outside of calibre.

Quote:
This is a make or break for me
It was nice having you around. Enjoy whatever program you get to replace calibre.

Quote:
I thought Calibre was great until I discovered I can't seem to organise my folders as I want them. I don't care how the books are sorted within the author folders, I can live with whatever, but I do care how the authors are sorted.
You've already read info on why this is the case. I have used calibre for 4 years and there is never a reason for me to review the file structure or care how it is setup. I frequently edit book files and cover images directly, but never have to know where the book is located. This is one of the most flexible programs I've come across.

Additionally since the books in these folders frequently do not have their metadata updated it is ill advised to use OS file level tools for moving these files elsewhere. On the other hand using the Save to disk feature to export books from the database updates the metadata when saving any book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If Calibre defaulted to keeping all its data in Appdata, or even in the users home directory (as it does for linux and os/x) then the author and book folders would not be as visible to the user and the number of 'complaints' on this issue would probably be a lot fewer.
True, but it seems as if all book managers have decided that My Documents is the place to store the books. Do any of those other book managers (K4PC or ADE) give you the kind of file level control?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote