View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hi chaley,
And hello back. It has been a while since we have traded posts.
Quote:
The clue's in the title, is there a CC wishlist thread?
No, but this one could be that.
Quote:
I only just bought the app and I must congratulate you on a slick experience so far.

I anticipated connection problems - didn't have any
It is hard for us to believe how much time and effort we have put into making connections "just work". It has been 100 times harder than I ever thought.
Quote:
I thought CC was only useable whilst wi-fi was enabled on my phone.
The "book manager" part of CC is certainly usable when not connected. I assume that is what you are referring to.
Quote:
Anyway, to the point of my post, if you do have a wishlist it would be nice to add these cosmetic requests for consideration:
-- ability to have all thumbnails the same shape/size - like the Sony device interface plugin
I confess to confusion. The thumbnails in the list view are scaled to the same size. The covers in book details are scaled down to a height of 160 pixels, aspect ratio respected. What thumbnails are you referring to?
Quote:
-- ability to show book lists as a 'gallery', i.e. larger thumbnails only, no text, but still in the specified order
How would you lay this out? Left to right, top to bottom? Would you include any text at all? How would you switch between views?
Quote:
-- for everything to work over 3G just as nicely as it does over wi-fi (OK this one isn't cosmetic )
This one is more complicated. The issue is that the computer running calibre must be visible over 3G, which in almost all cases means that it must be visible on the public internet. Is this true for you? Your computer running calibre has an external IP address?

I certainly don't have any "religious" objection to permitting connection over 3G to computer running calibre. The problem is that for at least 99% of the users, it wouldn't work. These users won't know how to open their home network, or perhaps they don't want to open the network (I fall into the second camp).

We would consider adding some option that would permit connections over 3G, but I am certain that doing so would result in people checking the box then complaining that CC doesn't work. I am open to suggestions on how to provide the functionality while avoiding complaints from people who don't understand the consequences. Any ideas?