View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #53
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@badbob001: Yes, the latest usbnetwork hack with K3_WIFI=true & K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY=true in the config file allow you to do just that, on all three counts. (And supports shared key auth, for a truly secure passwordless login).
Thanks for the info! For the new users, it seems that the usbnet documents are missing information to how to actually get it work after installation. Namely:
  1. ;debugON
  2. ~usbNetwork
  3. ;debugOFF

Then from the settings screen, I entered 711 to see my kindle's wifi ip address. I can continuously ping it. When I try to ssh in, I enter root and then am prompted for a password. Where can I can get this password? It certainly is not 'fiona'.

Alternatively, I'm trying the shared key authentication method. I downloaded puttygen and created a ssh-2 rsa key. I saved the private key locally and then export a openSSH formatted key to the kindle's usbnet/etc/authorized_keys. I try to connect with putty configured with the local private key, the kindle doesn't accept my key. I try a reboot of the kindle and now I can't ping or ssh to it. Do I need to run usbNetwork every time I restart or turn on the wireless? Is there a quick tutorial on this? Is there a way to check the current state of usbNetwork from some Kindle status page or over usb storage?

Since I'm using K3_WIFI=true and K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY=true, should I change DISABLED_auto to auto since this config should not affect my mass storage usb?

Also it appears that if the kindle is mounted as mass storage, wifi networking is disabled. Is this expected? I suppose this is a minor issue and just need to remember to unmount it before connecting over wifi.

Is the wifi suppose to be on even when the kindle goes to sleep? I was able to ping the kindle even though it showed the screensaver screen. I think I had it charging, but would it automatically suspend the wifi when on battery?

Last edited by badbob001; 10-17-2010 at 12:20 AM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote