View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Fine. I'm guessing that I'd like dedicated ereaders to survive for quite a few more years. No snobbery, no elitism, just honest-to-god straight-up preference.

But for the sake of conversation; yes... I believe dedicated ereaders will survive for quite a while yet. Because I don't think eInk (or similar low-power consumption screen technologies) are suddenly going to be completely abandoned in favor of the same old back-lit LCD screens used in tablets and cell-phones. And since the new screen technologies are not ready (feasible or what have you) for devices that need fast refresh rates for video and other applications--not to mention the lighting issues--I don't think I need worry about the dedicated ereader's obsolescense just yet.

So yes... while I think that eventually a screen technology will come along that will bridge the divide between Game/Apps and plain-old book reading requirements, I don't think I'll be watching a hi-def youtube video on an iPad-like device in full sunlight anytime soon.
See, thats the thing, I don't think that eInk will go anywhere, but rather be improved to the point that it gets used in more mainstream devices.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote