View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
I'm considering purchase of either a PRS 350 or 650. Sony's product description says there are 10 translation dictionaries included. I would appreciate it if a current owner of either reader can confirm if French to English and English to French dictionaries are among them.
Yes. I bought my 650 in Belgium, and it has:

New Oxford American Dictionary (EN)
Oxford Dictionary of English (EN)
Oxford-hachette French Dictionary (EN-FR)
Oxford-hachette French Dictionary (FR-EN)
Collins English-German Dictionary (EN-DE)
Collins German-English Dictionary (DE-EN)
Oxford Spanish Dictionary (EN-ES)
Oxford Spanish Dictionary (ES-EN)
Collins English-Italian Dictionary (EN-IT)
Collins Italian-English Dictionary (IT-EN)
Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Engels-Nederlands (EN-NE)
Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Engels-Nederlands (NE-EN)

Clearly the set of dictionaries included in the device is localized (who else in the world would want a Dutch dictionary outside Belgium or the Netherlands), but the point is that the central language is English. In other words, if you were hoping to find a french dictionary, as opposed to a translation dictionary, you're SOL.

I'm personally delighted by the choice of dictionaries in my 650, as I'm primary a reader of English who knows French, Spanish and a bit of Dutch, but I'm clearly a minority here. The few other people I know who bought a 650 sorely miss a dictionary in their native tongue, and feel slightly shafted by Sony here. Their argument is that they have less for their money than english readers. In fact, I find it slightly odd that Sony doesn't include a native dictionary (or dictionaries in the case of multilangual countries such as Belgium) in readers sold in non-english speaking countries.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote