View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #76
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, I think it is a new genre, or perhaps a sub-genre.

One of the things that irks me about Categories over at Fictionwise -- and I feel Fictionwise is an excellent company - is their use of the category Dark Fantasy to convey exactly what you describe in your post.

When I think Dark Fantasy, I think on the lines of Karl Edward Waggoner's work which I thoroughly enjoy.

I think Dark Fantasy is writing that has a dark texture to the writing regarding subject matter. I certanly do NOT think of Romance when I'm looking for Dark Fantasy reading material. I rarely now even look at the new releases from Fictionwise from within that category.

Don
sorry, slightly off-topic, but since you brought it up... i have to agree with you about fictionwise's categories, and it irks me as well. they seem to really concentrate on their romance selection and stick it in all kinds of categories. they claim you can personalise your email updates and such by selecting from a list the genres you are interested in "never" "sometimes" or "always". but i've selected mystery "always" and romance / erotica / fantasy / dark fantasy "never" and yet that's all they send me. ever. even the occasional so-called "mystery" turns out to be a "romantic mystery" or "mysterious romance" or whatever they call them. it's hard to put certain works in categories, i understand that (i have a hard time with it myself) but surely someone has set down some guidelines somewhere ??? sheesh.

we now return you to your normally scheduled thread.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote