View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the info Hacker. That's too bad.

I can't say I'm too surprised that they eliminated virtual CC number coding. Like I've said before, DRM means I only buy an ebook if it's a quick read and then good enough if it's into the trash. But fortunately a lot of books fall into that category, and eReader is still my favorite.

I was going to change to a virtual number at the eReader site, though, because of all the data theft concerns. I don't mind if eReader has my info and ties books to my (hashed) number, but I don't want my permanent number on their servers which can potentially leak out. So now I'm stuck between wanting to be an eReader customer and wanting to keep my cc# off their servers.

Of course that's a big part of why the ebook market is so small. If DRM wasn't oppressive (and readers were decent, and formats were established enough to guarantee permanent support both for big and small screens), then maybe more people would start to prefer purchased ebooks over paper or free ebooks. Mobile device popularity will help. I've mucho $$s on paper books, but if the above issues were taken care off all that money would have gone to ebooks and I would have preferred it. I would also have saved me from my bulging bookshelves and overflowing garage!

But the bulk of my books spending is over and I've finished building the "library" I wanted, so I'm not likely to spend too much anymore. Like I said, free books are around, people keep giving me second hand paper books, and I don't want to assume that DRM'd ebooks (or even un-DRM's ebooks not in txt/rtf/pdf format) are really permanent anyway.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote