View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #81
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just because Sony did something wrong is no justification for Amazon doing something wrong. And mobipocket has no cross platform customizable, open source converter, which means for someone like me, it's a dead-end format unless I take the trouble to write the converter.

I've been looking over mobipocket and its not HTML, its a proprietary customization of HTML, for example, to specify text indent on a paragraph you have to use the width attribute on a <p> tag which is not part of the HTML spec. It doesn't support CSS. Even microsoft's .lit format is superior technically to mobi and is more usable thanks to the guys at convertlit. And when I say more usable I mean one can convert both to and from it, on multiple platforms. I don't care about DRM.

Another problem is that .mobi is a technically inferior format. This is because it was designed originally for very low performace devices with very small screens. Witness the numerous threads on images in mobipocket in this forum.

So to summarize, if Amazon cared about the device rather than about selling books, they should have added support for a decent, open ebook format.
With this data, I agree. Mobi is pretty old format although they do a creator program that is free that can be used to convert files. It has a command line mode. They have promised to support epub at the source level but the creator program certainly does not so far. The fact that they use Mobi should be no big surprise to anybody. Why would they buy a company and then use another format? The image support is better if you use there jpeg option on the command line of the creator program and the source can specify a larger image.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote