View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #91
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The difference being that EPUB and AZW3 are just plain old html. html is not going to be obsolete, unlike proprietary not-fully-understood formats that have reached their expiry date re: support from the manufacturers.

Next thing you know, plaintext files will be acquiring digital obsolescence as well.
If it's just plaintext, then why can't I slap a .mobi onto my PC and just open it? It's got an icky layer of DRM around it, that's why. And I thought EPUB was mostly xhtml...

I know this is circumvent-able (at the moment) by us tech-saavy, but still. Not just an open standard, precisely.

Still, ebooks have plenty of variants - I ended up with a Topaz book once, and Kobo has their kepub variant (which I don't know a lot about, but fear of getting it has stopped me from buying books from them).

Something to think about also - since people continue to buy DRM, and mostly Amazon, nothing is stopping Amazon from tightening up the DRM down the road - so this easy convertibility/access could dry up.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 01-23-2014 at 02:09 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote