View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #1699
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I'll try and explain, though i am limited in my technical understanding of how things work.

I keep my Calibre library in my Dropbox account. I find it preferable to access it using a Calibre2opds catalog published to my public folder. I am mindful of the dire warnings about this, but I have never shared the link. I prefer using calibre2opds to direct accesss to my books in Dropbox as I have a large library. In the catalog my books are indexed by author, tags, series, recent additions , making it ideal to browse, whereas I can only scroll through an alphabetical list of authors in Dropbox.

Because Sugarsync offered more free space, i tried moving my library, including the catalog, to Sugarsync, but found I couldnot accesss itfrom my reader (Stanza at that time). There was quite a bit of discussion here about the relative merits of Dropbox, Sugarsync and Box. The thread linked below included discussion of use of Calibre2opds. Dpierron and Itimpi give some explanation of why some cloud storage works and other don't. I am afraid I don't understand those explanations and so am unable to assess for myself whether placing my library and Calibre2opds catalog in a Copy.com account will enable me to access books via my Calibre2opds catalog.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=sugarsync
I think the short answer is ...maybe. Why dont you try it and let us all know if it works.

I didnt go down the calibre2opds path simply because it has to be updated every time you add another book (or 6, or whatever) whereas saving your actual calibre library and database to the folder (be in dropbox, sugarsync, box, or copy) will automatically update in calibre and auto upload to the respective site. I now access the folder and go to the author I want to read. It works, and is no more problematic than having a nice HTML UI to access.