View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But if the notes are long and/or numerous, they can interfere with the flow of the text.
I prefer inline notes because I find them less disruptive than constantly flipping back and forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Eg, the wonderful Penguin eBook of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" (an example to every publisher of how to produce a good eBook) has many notes in each chapter, and many of them are long. If I'm reading it, I wouldn't look up a note on what a "chaise and four" is, because I know what it is, and I wouldn't want to see the half page of text on it in the middle of the main text either.
I always tend to read the notes. I've a vague idea what a "chaise and four" is, but a note could also expand on other topics; e.g. it's social significance at the time the story is set. If the note is half a page long, it's likely to tell me something I didn't know - if I assumed I didn't need to refer to the note; and it's hidden, unseen, at the back of the book, I'd be missing out.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote