View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
On the one hand, I think it's nearly impossible to vanquish every last typo.

On the other hand, I picked up a Brautigan omnibus e-book from my local library (the one with Revenge of the Lawn), and gave up after 8% of the book because I had noted over a dozen obvious errors, e.g.:

"Hey, kid, take your head cut of your ass" ...
"No," she said. "I don't wan: any hamburger," ...

After reading that 8% and seeing errors that even a basic spellcheck would have caught, I was convinced that either (a) no one at the publisher had even read the ebook prior to selling it, and/or (b) no one at the publisher gave a f*ck about Richard Brautigan. The lack of professionalism on the part of the publisher made me really angry.

From the Gutenberg folks, I can accept a lower standard. But for people whose job it is to produce "perfectly proofed, edited and beautifully laid out books," and who charge top dollar, the standards are different.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote