View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Sondar
Sondar began at the beginning.

Device: Several Kindles
Windows Explorer v Calibre - same files, different results

After my last lambasting, I tread very lightly this time.

I have a problem, and I don't know quite where to turn for help. I suspect that it is a Windows Explorer problem, but can't find much about anything similar on the web.

I have only been using Calibre for a short time, but have loaded several thousand books already. Everything appeared OK until I wanted to put a copy of my files onto another PC.

Copy / Paste, load Calibre, point it at the new folder - no problem!

Or so I thought.

Turns out that the copy / paste dropped about 400 books, and by analysis, it looks like the last 400 or so that I added.

On investigation, it turns out that while the "missing" books can be read, modified, converted, added to a device, whatever, there is not a trace of them in Windows Explorer!

The only hint that I have been able to track down is that apparently, Windows Explorer can, under some circumstances, "lose" files with long file names, and then refuses to list anything else added later.

Tried dirprn to list the files - it must use something related to Windows Explorer, because it reported (listed) the same subset of files as were listed by Windows Explorer.

Tried Save To Disk, and it appeared to find most of the missing stuff, but then I had another problem - larege files (up on the 40 meg+ range) don't appear to make it through - they generate a couple of error messages each - but the process did allow me to recover some of my lost ground.

Where to from here? Do you think that either of these issues are reportable (I'm wondering if it might not be prudent for Calibre to actually truncate file names if this file length is a problem - I know that with Windows Explorer Copy/Paste, I sometimes get a complete failure with long file names, and sometimes get a partial failure with others - I believe that it is something to do with the total path length, so calculating the longest "safe" name for a particular path should be achievable, provided the Windows Explorer tool limits are known).

Please to not attack me over this post - I am fairly computer savvy, but obviously not partivularly Windows 7 or Calibre savvy.

Any constructive feedback would be most welcome.
Sondar is offline   Reply With Quote