View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
I think the point being made though, is that it isn't uncommon to find manga or anime that have an actual story with an ending in mind. This is pretty rare in american comics. Yes there are anime/manga that have been going on for years, but there are also a lot that had specific endings. I have a bookcase full of both. I have very few american comics that had specific endings. I'm not talking about books that were canceled either, but were ended by the creative team once they told their story.
I see your point.

In Japan, I think that manga tends to be plotted out with an eye towards its eventual publication in tankoban (trade paperback) form. Even if the overall story arc continues from volume to volume, you usually get an end to an individual storyline at the end of a volume, or at least some kind of coda. And usually, when the end comes, they wrap it up at the end of a complete volume.

That's starting to be more common in the US as well, with 12-issue arcs being designed for publication as one or two trades.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote