View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #61
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I have one problem to be solved and I think this is the right thread for it. I have one poetry book and I'm having problems with adding empty space. In the original printed book there are few lines of text per page and ~10 cm (~4 inches) of empty space between the text and top of page.

The first line of each page has its own style and the following lines have own style. XHTML code looks like this:
<p class="newpage">First line of the poem</p>
<p class="poetry">Second line of the poem</p>
<p class="poetry">Third line of the poem</p>
<p class="newpage">First line of the poem</p>
<p class="poetry">Second line of the poem</p>
<p class="poetry">Third line of the poem</p>
In CSS I have just defined that "newpage" class has attribute "page-break-before: always;".

I would like to add some empty space in every page before the first line. CSS attribute "margin-top" doesn't work because of "page-break-before". If I had each page as a single document, then "margin-top" would work. Unfortunately, this book has many pages and I don't see it sane to cut it into 200 single xhtml files. I have tried to put empty p elements with space character before the first line but those are just being ignored. Increasing the line height works but it looks stupid if the first and second line has big empty space between them.

I'm using InDesign for creating the epub so I'm looking for a simple solution for this that I could do already in my InDesign document or afterwards by editing the CSS file. Is there any easy and simple solution for this? I hope I explained my problem clearly enough
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote