View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Your preferences and background are VERY similar to mine. I also wrote a similar review here for the 300, which I purchased about 2 months ago.

I too think the Sony OEM covers are overpriced. But, given how much I carry mine around (in my FRONT pants pocket, or a jacket now that weather is getting cooler here!) I relented and bought one. I have a 505 that came with a similar cover in the box and worked great. I figure I'll get a lot of use out of the 300 OEM cover--nice simple design, with pegs that attach to the 300's spine, and magnets to hold the cover closed. 3rd parties may come out with less-expensive covers. But I do detest the covers that have cheezy corner straps to hold the Reader.

One final note: you can use any Sony PSP (portable video game) charger to charge the Reader. (Available everywhere, and cheap.) It is also MUCH better to charge thru the round yellow power port (same as the PSP port) than thru usb. The Reader charges faster and you can use it while charging. Also, connecting the wrong pc or charger to the usb port can DRAIN the battery. Another great solution is a Sony PSP power/data cable. This one cable will let you charge the Reader from ANY usb port (it has a round yellow power plug) AND transfer data thru the usb plug. I've found these cables online for less than $5.

Enjoy! I've been doing a lot more "fun" reading since I got my first Reader over 2 years ago.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote