View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Kaero
Kaero began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
I am wondering, how many of you actually turn the Cybook off when they tell you to turn off electronic devices? I have taken two trips with my Cybook so far and on this last trip I just couldn't bring myself to stop reading and turn it off. While we are on the subject, does anyone know the basis of this rule? I get why cell phones might be an issue (and didn't Mythbusters bust that even?), but are iPods, handheld games, ebook readers, etc really going to have a detrimental effect on aircraft instruments?

Mythbusters are not perfect. Simply, it is a fact cell phones make interferences with old airplanes. Especially old cell phones with high emmiting power. Today, more electronic shielding is built in airplanes. Any device with wifi module, bluetooth or cell phone abilities should be switched off (or adequate part of the device), if you are said so. Cybook Gen 3 do not have such a thing, so no problem. You could measure some electromagnetic emission even from a cybook, but it is insignifficant and on the same level as e.g. autopilot computer. You have to ask yourself - have the device got any module emmiting electromagnetic waves at wavelengths smaller than IR?
Kaero is offline   Reply With Quote