View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #96
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
In terms of writing (rather than casual speech), Robert Graves argued that it is precisely because English is imperfect that it requires logical usage on the part of the writer. English doesn't have the purified palette or grid of perfect constructions found in French. But what English loses in perfection, it gains in expressiveness and richness.

While the survival of words does depend on popular consensus, the person who wants to be understood will make use of every advantage which helps the reader to understand, and logic is one of them. For that reason and not mere consensus, the writer will choose to avoid the phrase could care less.

The other reason to avoid the phrase is because it's distracting. The controversy it has inspired on this thread alone should be enough to show that using it can take the listener/reader completely off course whether you feel that person is being pedantic or not.
Being understood is rarely my only goal. My name ain't Finnegan, but I always reserve the right to Muddy the Waters (maybe because I don't know Diddley).

To avoid controversy on this issue, one would also have to avoid "I couldn't care less". Might I suggest something like "my Care-o-meter is pegged at zero" or "call the veterinarian 'cause my Care Bears are flatlining".

Juxtapose "loose" and "lose", however, and it's on like something that is completely and totally on.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote