View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #392
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
By the way, I tried the root and unroot path myself last night, and I have some info for you, and anyone else thinking of it for similar reasons:

1. If all goes as planned, the rooting process is quick and easy.
It didn't go as planned for me, and according the hour I spent reading the xda forum, that's not unusual. Be prepared to mess with drivers and other Windows glitches, and be prepared to do some some web surfing for troubleshooting tips.

2. I installed the Google framework and Play app, and found that a huge number of apps are either listed as incompatible with the Fire and cannot be downloaded, or do not show up at all. Getting around that would have required more tweaking than I was prepared to do.

3. It looks like in-app purchasing still tried to use the Amazon store a lot of the time, and between that and the Play store's dearth of Fire compatible apps, having Play proved to be of virtually no benefit to me.
There are plenty of other markets and sources for apks, so I uninstalled the Google apps.

So now I'm debating if I'm even going to keep the (switchable) rooting in place in case I do ever have need for it, or just revert everything fully back to stock.

If you are willing to give up the Amazon UI, Amazon video, and some of the tighter integration, you, can, of course, replace the whole system with a different rom, like GedeROM, and have full use of all the Google stuff.
I highly recommend this ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1475054

I wanted the most optimized, functional, and stable version of Android specifically for the Kindle Fire. After do a lot of research I installed that one. MobileRead member Dengar had pointed me to that one. I've been running it for a full 2 months and it is absolutely fantastic.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote