View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #25
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I have a different recommendation. You need to stop reading *about* books (that means taking a break from here!), stop downloading new books, stop watching videos about books. If you are always looking for the latest and greatest, it's hard to appreciate what's in front of you. The worst reading slump for me happened when I started working at a bookstore. We were allowed to borrow any book we wanted, and (of course) we were always discussing new books. Suddenly no book I was reading was ever good enough.

eP
elemenoP, you're a genius! Thank you for hitting me over the head with the obvious. I've been in a terrible slump for over a year, and it really upsets me, because reading used to be my greatest pleasure. But it seems like since I first got a Kindle in '09, I've been reading less and less, and deriving less enjoyment from it when I do read. I'll start reading a book and not be able to concentrate, thinking that there's probably something better I could be reading, and then give it up. Or else I slog onward, and it takes me weeks to finish a book I normally would read in a couple of nights. I've degenerated into a free and bargain book collector, and though it gives me kind of a smug satisfaction, I want to go back to being the real READER that I used to be!

I probably have enough e-books for ten lifetimes. In "the good old days", I would go to the bookstore or the library and come home with one or two books, and I'd usually enjoy them immensely. Now, I'm drowning in a sea of books, and spend way too much time accumulating more & more. Time to stop that. But I'll have to figure out a system for selecting from my existing library. Just looking at that list of books overwhelms me!
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote