View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Are you trying a Kindle Serial?

The current list of titles didn't have anything that particularly interesting, so I just went with Oliver Twist, which I've never read.

Some observations:
- it can be a little non-obvious when a new installment is downloaded, depending on you organize the Home screen. I have mine in Recent sort, when a new installment shows up it will float to the top and clear the 'progress' marks (this is on KT or KPW).
- after a week or two, it can be a little difficult to pick up the story thread and remember what was going on.
- conversely, frustrating to wait for the next installment if you want to know what happens next.
- seems like the format limits the type of writing that can successfully sustain interest
- if you don't get in at the start of the serial, you have to read a whole bunch to get 'current'.
- once the serial is complete, there's no 'reset' button. Nobody gets to experience it as a serial any more.
- the discussion threads are quite dead, at least for Oliver Twist. I checked a few for the other titles, and they're pretty much the same.

I may have to purchase a 'real' serial just to get a better sense of things, but as a first impression, I don't see this generating a lot of excitement in its current form (beyond the initial announcement and pickup in blogs, etc.).

I would at a minimum set things up so that at the end of each installment, there's a link to the discussion for that installment. That would mean designing a web interface that functioned on Kindle devices, which I doubt Amazon is interested in doing right now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote