View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #103
Ethelred?
Ethelred? has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Actually I am somewhat frustrated too being given half-truths and not exactly plausible explanations.
They don't close an account just because they don't like you or for random reasons - so something happened to initiate this process which you don't care to give details here.
Wow.

Skepticism is a healthy thing, not least on the Internet, but there have certainly been a far-too-large number of cases where companies have shut customers out of their services and refused to provide any justification or recourse. Most frequently I've heard about this happening with Ebay, PayPal, and Google, and once I had this happen with PayPal myself (they didn't shut down my account, but refused to let random transactions go through, and I couldn't figure out why. Every time I wrote them to figure out what the problem was I got back the same canned, non-informative email. Eventually I just gave up.)

In short, there might be no particular reason to believe the OP is telling the truth, but I don't see any reason to keep accusing them of deceit either. There's nothing about their story that seems particularly out of line with my experience and that of far too many others.

--

Aside from any of this, there is still the question of the legality or morality of treating software, music, books, movies that have been bought online as services that can be refused whenever the service provider feels like it, rather than as actual purchases which now belong to the customer. Even if Amazon decides it won't let you use your account to make any future purchases or sales, it should not be able to cut you off from what you have already bought.

I'm pretty sure that when you* buy a book from Amazon, you consider that something you own, and not something that Amazon is kindly allowing you to use as long as they approve of your behavior.

*'you' meaning pretty much anyone