View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #44
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
When I buy items in a supermarket, I use my shopper's card for discounts, and all of my purchases are recorded and stored.

When I buy books at B&N or Borders, I use my member's card and all of my purchases are recorded and stored.

When I use my library card, information about the books/audios/DVDs that I borrow are recorded and stored.

If I buy books from Amazon and put them on a Kindle, they already know about those books.

If I walk in any major city or into any public buildings, my image is rcorded on cameras.

My cable system has a record of every TV show or movie I access.

My ISP has a record of all the web sites I visit.

Hotel bonus points cards ensure that all of my out-of-state visits are recorded.

And that's not even considering all the information that can be gleaned from my credit card records.

If I want to leave this country, I'm entered in databases.

There's a record of every legitimate job I've had in Social Security's database.

I have a cell phone, OnStar, and an EZ Pass device affixed to my windshield; I can be physically tracked six ways from Sunday.

Privacy is just an illusion, and has been for decades. I began to give it up when I first got a Social Security card as a teenager, and definitely lost it when I got my first credit card. A complete image of me can be created just from my data spoor. It no longer is a bugaboo for me because I refuse to be worried or ashamed about anything I do. I'm not going to restrict my life over the worry that people will know more about me that I would like them to - they already do; when I'm dead and gone it's not going to matter anyway. Information stored about me can already be used against me, may already have been - who the hell knows? So if Amazon wants to know where I place a bookmark, have at it. That's not going to stop me from getting that device if I really want one.