View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
The very complaint is that manufacturer avoids any device handling except default one, aka "plug usb, dowhatever, unplug, send to us...".
I "get" that, at least on some level. It seems to me that many, many Kobo buyers have limited experience with making user adjustments to technology. A lot, perhaps the majority, of the folks who hang out here have gotten fairly comfortable with things like replacing the sqlite Db. The same cannot be said, for example, about people who only go to Facebook with their problems.

From one perspective an eReader is like an appliance--it should just work when you plug it in and follow the directions. When an update process doesn't work properly or when a badly formed ePUB fails to load using ADE (but has landed in the Db) and then seems to screw with things like which books appear first in the 'I'm Reading" list, people can feel as if their appliance is broken. And it is. The fact that more experienced users can take care of these problems themselves is irrelevant to people who either cannot do it, or do not feel as if they should have to go that far.

<rant on>There is another group of folks, those who have done something weird, or maybe even dodgy, and just aren't going to come clean about it when posting on a BB or talking to Kobo help. I have reached out to more than a few people (not here) who have done such things. They may yell loudly about their "broken" Kobo, but do not come clean with what they have done to break them. One example comes to mind--a person who was very non-specific about how their machine went wonky, but eventually revealed that she had locked content. Privately she told me that she was using a friend's account associated with a different ADE account from her own. She never came onto the public board and admitted that her own behaviour had caused the problem. </rant off>
taming is offline   Reply With Quote