View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
mysteries published by BAEN

in another thread i mentioned how much i've appreciated Baen's philosophy and approach to ebooks ever since first learning about them, and i was feeling a bit frustrated because they are the perfect example of a publisher i want to support (more directly than simply by citing them as a shining example and recommending them to others at every occasion, as i already do ), but... i just don't like science fiction very much, so their catalogue didn't appeal to me. i wish they published mysteries as well, since that is my favorite genre (if i have to choose one...).

however, a couple of people have pointed out that Baen actually *does* publish some mysteries (see quoted posts below) although they are sf / mystery or fantasy / mystery. and as i've recently discovered, i actually *do* enjoy some fantasy (i don't really pay much attention to genres in general, so i might not even have realised that it was fantasy), like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

so i thought, maybe Baen has some other books which might appeal to me and other people who feel the same.

i prefer mysteries which are well-thought out, with well-developped characters and good plots. not too gory or violent please. and preferably not too scary either (it will keep me awake all night !).

some mystery authors i appreciate :
SS Van Dine
JD Carr / Carter Dickson
Léo Malet
Fred Vargas
Marjorie Eccles (Detective Mayo)
Dorothy Sayers (Lord Peter Wimsey)
Ian Rankin
Agatha Christie
Mary Roberts Rineheart
Anna Katharine Green
J.W. van der Wetering
émile Gaboriau
Arthur Conan Doyle
Gaston Leroux
GK Chesterton

recommendations for mysteries published by Baen :

any other recommendations ? please give a short description as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
They do publish some mysteries. For example, the Detective Inspector Chen books are a fascinating hybrid SF/Fantasy/Mystery series set in a near-future "Singapore 5" (a franchise city based off of Singapore). Inspector Chen serves as the Police Department's main liaison with Heaven and Hell, and gets stuck with investigating all cases with supernatural connections. The "Heaven and Hell" in question are the traditional Chinese versions, complete with the Imperial Personage who is in charge of Heaven and the various bureaucracies that run things in Hell.

The cases are interesting mysteries that "play fair" with the reader by presenting all necessary evidence before Chen solves the case. They're also quite charming SF/Fantasy -- Chen's wife is a demon, he winds up with a sidekick who works for Hell's Vice Squad (as in Vice, promotion of), his colleagues are thoroughly wierded out by his celestial and infernal connections, and on and on.

Highly recommended.

Similarly, some of the various SF books that Baen publishes are also quality mysteries. It's just that mystery isn't their specialty.

Xenophon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
One more Fantasy/Mystery published by Baen is Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories, taking place in an analog of Earth where magic developed and science didn't (much).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote